Quotable quotes

"It is not a bad idea to get in the habit of writing down one's thoughts.
It saves one having to bother anyone else with them."
Isabel Colegate

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A book in a bag is always a good thing

Books may well be the only true magic.
Alice Hoffman

We have all experienced at least once where we have to wait somewhere for hours with nothing else to do. When that happens, don't we start to think of all the things that we could have accomplished in that very hour! Recently, I had to spend a lot of time waiting on two occasions that involves my daughters.

On new year's eve day, I thought it was a good idea to get my daughters' international passports renewed as supposedly it would be less crowded that day. Bad idea! Although we got our queue numbers at 11.15am, we only got back the passports (renewed to year 2014) after 4pm. That's a lot of time wasted at one place! In between the waiting and lunch, I had to buy two tabloid magazines to keep Alex and Ashley off the complaining streak. Lucky for me, I had my book.



Our friend Michelle sent us two tickets to watch Mama Mia the musical on 2 January at the Istana Budaya theatre. My daughters had just watched the movie and they really wanted to watch the musical so I let them have those tickets. I did try to get a ticket for myself too but the one seat available cost way too much, over RM500. Since there's no Pierce Brosnan, Meryl Streep or Collin Firth in that musical, why bother. I drove my kids to the place, got a nice parking spot and waited till they got into the theatre. I've probably reached the age where one can no longer be bothered shuttling back and forth in the crazy traffic, plus there's a decent enough cafetaria in the building. I wish I could say that I had enjoyed the long wait (3 hours) but there were some very persistent mosquitoes that kept buzzing near me! I was earlier seated indoors but it got too cold in my sleeveless blouse so I opted to sit at the patio. Thank goodness, I had my faithful book with me.

Yesterday, our 15yr old Philips television reached its use by date! We were halfway watching rerun of "Bad Boys" when it just went blank. There's no running to Harvey Norman in a jiffy coz dear hubby says "due to the global economic situation we are now scalling down on all extravangant expenditure". I guess we're back to watching tv on the old 14inch telly for now.

This clearly gives credence to my point of carrying a book in my bag, almost everywhere I go.


5 comments:

InobonG ProPer said...

I agree with you. I'm an ardent reader too so a book/novel is a must in my handbag. Sometimes I keep them in a car ;)

Emily said...

Yeah for another bookworm! Nothing beats a good book..

The Duchess said...

Book in bag should be listed as a requirement for living in France.

I don't live in Paris so don't have to worry about reading on the metro, but even just going about my day to day life in my village, there are ample book reading opportunities: doctor's office, post office, any administration offices, waiting for deliveries (they usually say 'will be delivered anywhere between 8am and 6pm!'), etc.

And of course there's the cafés!

Emily said...

Yes! definitely another bookworm.. :)

Anonymous said...

To me reading is a `job must be done' or I risk going crazy. Sometimes when I am out of town and no newspapers for the day, I `do my job must be done' by reading old newpapers in sight.

Good day and thanks for `following me' in Aki Momogun.